I have a thing for scones, I think because you can easily whip them up and it’s totally acceptable to serve them with lashings of butter!
These date and orange scones are perfect for serving warm when you have guests coming around or that weekend treat!
Scroll down for the recipe which you can print off or pin to pinterest to save the recipe for later.
DATE & ORANGE SCONES
The perfect sweet weekend brunch scone recipe, serve warm with lashings of butter!
- 2 cups pitted dried dates
- 2 oranges (rind and juiced (you need about ½ cup of juice))
- 4 cups plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Pepper & Me bakers blend
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100 grams cold butter (diced)
- 1/2 cups milk
- Raw sugar/coffee sugar crystals for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Grate the rind of the oranges then juice them.
- Add the dates, orange juice and rind into a small pot and simmer until the dates soften (around 10 minutes).
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the date mixture and milk.
- Mix until just combined and it resembles a dough.
- On a floured surface gently shape into a flat rectangle piece and cut into smaller rectangles, triangles or squares.
- Place on the lined baking tray and sprinkle with raw sugar and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked cool on a wire rack and serve warm with lashings of butter!